So we have 4 points we need to go through or so it seems at first. Actually, this is all about brain health more than anything else and the major problem is that your brain’s health is decreasing with age at a pace that it is only controllable through constant efforts and dedication. The way you live your life will impact your brain in various degrees and unwanted and harmful habits will leave their mark on its ability to perform its daily tasks. The problem here is that when you allow yourself being poisoned with all sorts of substances on a daily basis, your brain cells will start dying at a faster rate than normal. And another important aspect is that they don’t grow back. So let’s take it slow and go through all of these 4 assets, pointing out the exact thing that you need to do in order to improve them.
Focus – This probably happened to you a lot of times and you haven’t even noticed. Your daily tasks can at times overwhelm your brain and out of the sudden you don’t seem to be able to remain focused on anything for longer. This can cause you a lot of problems and if you think it is something negligible, think again what implications can come from losing your focus while behind the wheel. It is actually one of the major causes of accidents in the world today. One thing that can assist you in helping your focus awareness is the regular berry. There are studies showing that one berry meal can improve your focus ability for up to 5 hours, as well as helping your concentration and memory. Aside from this, berries are known to improve the blood flow in your brain, thus helping it becoming more oxygenated which is an invaluable asset.
Alertness – Everybody lacks energy once in a while and no matter what you do, you can’t seem to be able to get back on track. Most of us chose coffee to get them out of trouble or a bar of chocolate at times, because they can provide you with bursts of energy almost instantly, but the downside is that it soon wears off. Going for foods with larger quantities of Vitamin E is a more reliable choice, because they will give you long term energy levels and will help your brain by providing it with an increased level of awareness and alertness. This is where nuts should be an essential part of your diet, providing you with both Vitamin E and magnesium. Aside from nuts, you can also go for animal protein like meats, fish, dairy and regular eggs, which will offer you the most needed protein cocktail.
Memory – The thing about memory is that it will go down along with your age and it all starts pretty early in fact. Soon after you hit 25 your brain cells start dying and that process accelerates as you keep aging. The fact that your brain degrades at an increasingly faster pace is also influenced by other factors such as the food you eat and your bad habits such as drinking alcohol and smoking. When looking to improve your memory, you need to take into consideration that you could also prevent some major illness while doing so. This is why eating salmon for instance can greatly improve your memory and protect you from severe conditions such as dementia.
Intelligence – OK, so this is a bit trickier, because intelligence depends on a great deal of factors, the way you eat most likely being the last. But that does not mean that you cannot improve it a little bit just by improving your diet. Forget about those fancy and unrealistic supplementary products claiming to make you a superhuman of sorts. I am talking about regular foods that can have a higher impact on your intellect. This is where we need to mention dark chocolate as being one of the most important ingredients in improving the sharpness of your brain’s ability to analyze and make decisions. Studies have taken place supporting this view and British scientists concluded that dark chocolate can improve the blood flow through your brain because it contains Flavonol. This made the subjects that had consumed this product to perform a lot better in intelligence tests than those that did not.
But this is just the top of the iceberg really. In fact, there are plenty of foods to be taken into consideration and we can only point out the most relevant ones and leave you to discover the rest as you go. So let’s go through the most important foods that will enhance your brain’s ability to think, perform and develop.
- Fish oil – it is the Omega-3 fatty acids that will do the trick in this case
- Vitamin B – try getting it from foods like turkey, beans and bananas. Vitamin B it is known to improve your memory on a long term basis
- Antioxidants – antioxidants are extremely effective in taking down the free radicals in your body. Free radicals and harmful substances forming in your body from air pollution, smoking and so on. You can tackle them by eating red kidney beans, blueberries, cranberries, artichokes.
- Gingko Biloba – it will increase the blood flow to your brain and increases the memory and ability to focus.
- Avocado – avocado can lower your blood pressure and helps the thinking process
- Meat and Fish – these protein sources can also provide you with creatine and this is an essential substance in enhancing intelligence and memory
- Vitamin E – it works as an antioxidant and it is known to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Green leafy vegetables, kiwi and nuts are the best sources of Vitamin E
- Ginseng – This precious root will improve your memory and your general brain functioning. Also, it seems that it is able to protect your brain from various toxins in the air.